wdfw.wa.gov fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov
wdfw.wa.gov Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife  
  Home  |  License Info  |  Disability Info  Special Hunts  |  Discover Pass  |  Other Products 

Purchase Today!Catch Record Card

The Catch Record Card, received with your license purchase, is an important management tool for estimating the recreational harvest of sturgeon, steelhead, salmon, and halibut. A catch record card must be in your possession to fish for these species. Washington Administrative Code (WAC 220-56-175, WAC 220-69-236) requires all kept sturgeon, steelhead, salmon, and halibut to be recorded on your Catch Record Card and requires all anglers to return their Catch Record Card by April 30, even if nothing is caught or you did not fish. Every person issued a Puget Sound crab catch record card shall return such catch record card to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife no later than the required return date printed on the catch record card or report their catch record card information on the internet site designated on the catch record card by the same date.

Puget Sound Dungeness Crab

When you purchase a Puget Sound Dungeness crab endorsement you will be issued a summer and winter Catch Record Card. All Puget Sound Dungeness crab kept are required to be recorded on your Catch Record Card immediately after capture and before fishing again. Record catch information in ink. Be sure to make a check mark for each crab kept. The check mark is used by field enforcement officers to ensure each crab kept is immediately recorded. At the end of the fishing trip, or prior to moving to a new marine area, enter the total number of check marks in the crab kept per day column. The number should equal the number of checkmarks on that line.

Dungeness crab catch cards need to be returned to the department or reported on online by the dates printed on the cards.

Please return Catch Record Cards to:

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Fish Program
Catch Record Cards
600 Capitol Way N
Olympia WA 98501-1091.

Need a New Catch Record Card?
If you have lost or filled up the your current Catch Record Card. You can purchase another through the WILD system.

Catch Record Card Questions/Answers

Can I report my Catch Record Card data online?
Online reporting is currently not available for all species. Please mail your catch record cards to the address below. Puget Sound Dungeness crab online reporting is available here.

When & where do I return my Catch Record Card?
Please return your catch record card by April 30th to:

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Fish Program
Catch Record Cards
600 Capitol Way N
Olympia WA 98501-1091

Why must I return my Catch Record Card if I didn't catch anything?
Post-season sport harvest estimates are a necessary component in evaluating future fishery management options. To make post-season harvest estimates accurate, it is necessary that all anglers' harvests be represented and therefore, all catch record cards must be returned to WDFW.

I lost my catch record card? What do I do?
State rule, (WAC 220-56-175), still requires you to report your catch information by April 30th each year, even if you lost your card. If your card was lost or stolen, send the information requested below to:

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Fish Program
Catch Record Cards
600 Capitol Way N
Olympia WA 98501-1091

Provide the following information (See complete instructions):

  • Your full name
  • Mailing address
  • Telephone number with area code
  • Date of birth
  • WILD identification number, if you know it (found on your license)
  • All retained salmon, sturgeon, steelhead, Dungeness crab and Halibut catch information.

Or, if you have further questions, you may contact the Fish Program Customer Service at (360) 902-2700, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Also, please see the Catch Record Card section on page 20-21 of the Fishing in Washington - Sportfishing Rules Pamphlet.

 Help | Contact Us | Privacy & Security